1.0: Determine total number of servers to procure
The following factors contribute to the total number of servers you will want to procure:
- Total number of environments you want to install in (e.g. UAT vs Production)
- This changes from customer to customer--customers who get 2 servers usually do this if they believe that any testing may impact response times for production users. These are organizations that are actively testing heavily at the same time that many production users are interacting with dashboards. Customers who get 1 server believe that their testing will not impact end users. These customers usually do any testing outside business hours, or do not have very intensive QA processes.
- How many servers you want for scalability/disaster recovery
- Our customers often get more servers solely for disaster recovery. For more detailed information about our products' concurrency capabilities, please reach out to your Narrative Science representative and ask for the Benchmarking & Scalability Guide
Using the recommended four-core deployment, the Quill Extensions API can successfully handle up to 100 concurrent requests.
Taking into account an average client’s usage of the installed Quill Extensions API then, we find that clients often don’t need to scale vertically (by provisioning larger servers with more CPUs/memory) or horizontally (by adding more servers and placing these servers behind a load balancer) for load reasons beyond our recommended system configuration.
If necessary however, the Quill API can be installed in a multi-node deployment, though provisioning and configuration of the load balancers is the responsibility of the client. Please see Technical Architecture to reference diagrams for single and multi-node installations.
For more information on concurrency and scalability, please see the Narrative Science Benchmarking and Scalability Guide and please reach out to Narrative Science if you have further questions. If you do not have access to this Guide, please request it from your Narrative Science representative.
- How many distinct products you are purchasing from Narrative Science
- Keep in mind that we test our products assuming that you are not co-locating multiple Narrative Science products on one server (i.e. if you are purchasing both the Qlik Extension and the Tableau Extension, they will not reside on the same Linux server)